These Chai Molasses Cookies are perfect for the holiday season. Snuggle up by the fire with a plate full of these delicious cookies, perhaps with a steamy cup of hot chocolate, and settle in for some cozy time.
Bake: 350F | Makes: 36
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice (can substitute with ground cloves)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (fresh is great)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature*
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Optional ingredients for chocolate-dipped Chai Molasses Cookies
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
* Baking High optional infused ingredient. See How to Infuse for more information on making cannabis infusions.
In these Chai Molasses Cookies, you can infuse the butter with any cannabis strain(s) of your choice. I recommend a strain that has deep & earthy or rich & spicy terpenes that will compliment the spices and molasses in the cookies.
Use an edible dosage calculator, such as this one by hempster, to calculate a dose that is right for you.
Baking High Edible Example
36 servings | ~10.72 mg THC per serving | Night Nurse
|Cannabis (in grams)||2.0|
|Liquid for infusion (in cups)||1|
|Infused extract in recipe (in tablespoons)||16|
|Servings in recipe||36|
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and all the spices.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer using the paddle attachment, cream the [room temperature] butter and the granulated and brown sugars together until the mixture is whipped and fluffy.
- Add the egg to the butter and sugar mixture and beat until incorporated.
- Scrape down the bowl, then add the molasses and vanilla to the butter mixture, stirring until incorporated.
- Add one-third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir by hand or on low speed until incorporated. Repeat two more times with the remaining flour mixture, scraping down the bowl after each addition.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, then place in the refrigerator and chill for at least 30 minutes. (This step can be skipped if your dough is not too soft)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Remove the chilled dough from the refrigerator. Roll a rounded tablespoon of dough, 1-inch-wide, into balls and place 3 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.*
- Bake for 8-12 minutes, until the edges are a darker brown and the top has begun to crack. Rotate pan halfway for a more even bake.
- Remove cookies from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.**
* If you infused your cookies with cannabis: Weigh out the total amount of cookie dough (in grams) and divide by the number of servings in the recipe, 36, to get the weight of each cookie. Use a scale to accurately weigh out each cookie before rolling into a ball. For example, a total of 1048g of cookie dough will make 36 cookies at about 29.11g each.
**If you do not plan to dip the Chai Molasses Cookies in chocolate, you can optionally sprinkle sea salt on top of the cookies right out of the oven while they are still hot.
Optional instructions for chocolate-dipped Chai Molasses Cookies
- While the cookies are baking, make the chocolate ganache.
- Combine the heavy whipping cream and chocolate in the top of a double boiler or in a medium bowl set over a pan of hot water. Warm over medium heat.
- Stirring continuously, heat the chocolate mixture until the chocolate chips are completely melted and the heavy cream is fully incorporated.
- Once the cookies are completely cool, place a wire rack on top of a baking sheet. Dip the cookies partway into the warm chocolate mixture and place on the rack to set.
- Once the chocolate mixture is cooled and dry, sprinkle with a topping of your choice such as cinnamon or cardamom.