This isn’t a whoopie pie, pumkin. Spicy, chocolate-y, and worthy of a second helping. This recipe is the marriage of angelic pumpkin cookies and sinfully silky chocolate mousse.
Bake: 350F | Makes: 36
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 can pumpkin puree (15oz)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil*
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
* Baking High optional infused ingredient. See How to Infuse for more information on making cannabis infusions.
In these Pumpkin Pillow Cookie Sandwiches with Chocolate Mousse, you can infuse the oil with any cannabis strain(s) of your choice. I recommend a strain that has deep & earthy or rich & spicy terpenes that will compliment the spices in the cookies and the decadent chocolate mousse.
Use an edible dosage calculator, such as this one by hempster, to calculate a dose that is right for you.
Baking High Edible Example
This cookie sandwich idea came about by chance. I did not infuse the cookie batter because it was actually leftover pumpkin bread batter. If I were to make these cookies into edibles, I recommend using a strain such as Night Nurse. It pairs well with spiced baked goodies and is the perfect relax-and-unwind cannabis strain.
The chocolate mousse was the High Idea! of my wife. We had leftover ganache in the fridge from making Chai Molasses Cookies, so we whipped up some heavy whipping cream (literally, we took turns whisking by hand) and made chocolate mousse. Because, why not?
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and all the spices.
- In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, heavy cream, granulated and brown sugars, and vanilla.
- Add one-third of the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and stir together until incorporated. Repeat two more times with the remaining flour mixture until just blended, scraping down the bowl after each addition.
- Using a scoop or spoon, measure out a rounded tablespoon of batter and place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.*
- Bake for 8-12 minutes, until the edges are a darker brown and the top is set.
- Remove cookies from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
* If you infused your cookies with cannabis: Weigh out the total amount of cookie batter (in grams) and divide by the number of servings in the recipe, 36, to get the weight of each cookie. Use a scale to accurately weigh out each cookie by removing the batter from the bowl. For example, a total of 1080g of cookie batter will make 36 cookies at about 30g each. For each cookie, remove, or subtract, about 30g of batter from the bowl until all the batter is gone.
Instructions for Chocolate Mousse
- Combine 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream and chocolate in the top of a double boiler or in a medium bowl set over a pan of hot water. Warm over medium heat.
- Stirring continuously, heat the chocolate mixture until the chocolate chips are completely melted and the heavy cream is fully incorporated.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes, but do not let the chocolate mixture set. If the mixture sets, gently warm the mixture over low heat just until it is melted again.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream and granulated sugar into whipped cream with medium peaks.
- Fold the whipped cream into the cooled chocolate mixture until incorporated. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to allow the chocolate mousse to set.
Assemble the Pumpkin Pillow Cookie Sandwiches by turning over half of the pumpkin cookies, bottoms up, and spooning about two tablespoons of chocolate mousse onto the bottom of each cookie. Place a second cookie, bottom down, on top of the mousse to create sandwiches. Finish each cookie sandwich with a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar.